The Physical Education curriculum will develop students' knowledge and skills in physical activities. This base of knowledge and skills is an essential component of the liberal arts education at Wellesley College and is required of all students for completion of their undergraduate degree.
- PE classes (term classes = two credits; semester classes = four credits)
- Varsity athletics (eight credits per sport per year)
- Certain recreational activities (two credits maximum)
- Acquire knowledge of and competence in fundamental and advanced motor skills that will allow students to enjoy regular physical activity.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental training principles that apply to cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, and strength.
- Develop strategies for self-assessment and goal-setting to achieve fitness and sport-related objectives.
- Understand the link between regular physical activity and improvements in mood, cognition, and academic performance.
- Adapt quickly to challenging situations as a result of being exposed to risk-taking opportunities.