Welcome to Media Services! Our department is dedicated to supporting the audiovisual needs of faculty, staff, and students on campus.
Our highest priority is to support the academic program and curricular events on campus such as Wellesley College course meetings, Tanner and Ruhlman conferences, and the Albright Institute Wintersession Program. Media Services also provides support for non-academic events.
Media Services Staff Members:
Jarlath Waldron, Instructional Media Director
Jason Estey, Videographer
Seboe Maparyan, Multimedia Technology Assistant
Doris Forde, Media Services Student Supervisor (part-time)
All requests for media services support for your event must be requested in your 25live reservation at least 14 days prior to your event. Staff coverage and equipment availability are not guaranteed without two weeks' notice.
FEE: There is a charge for internal non-academic events. The fee is $20.00 per hour, per student. The default budget number (FOAPAL or cost center number) listed in your 25live reservation will be charged unless you provide a specific budget number in your 25live reservation to be charged to.
NOTE: Occasionally coverage may not be possible due to staffing, in which case, you will be notified by Media Services 2 days prior to your event.
We provide the following services:
- Set up microphones/speakers
- Set up visual display equipment (LCD projector, projection screen, etc.)
- Assist with connecting computer/laptop for visual presentation
- Assist with connecting device to play music
- Live stream
Below are resources you can request in 25live should you require assistance with the services listed above. Once a student signs up to work your event, you will receive an email confirmation directly from the student. If you haven't received an email 3 days prior to your event, please inquire by emailing email@example.com.
- Pre-Event Technician: The student tech will arrive anywhere between 45-60 minutes (depending on the complexity of the equipment and the number of equipment requested) prior to the event start time to set up and test the equipment and stay for the first 10-15 minutes into the event before leaving, if everything is working properly.
- At-Event Technician: The student tech will arrive anywhere between 45-60 minutes (depending on the complexity of the equipment and the number of equipment requested) prior to the event start time to set up and test the equipment and stay for the duration of your event.
- Technician for live streaming: This service requires the assistance of 2 students and therefore the fee is $40 per hour.
- Videographer: The student videographer will arrive approx. 60 minutes prior to the event start time to set up and test the equipment.
- Portable sound system - PICK UP ONLY: if you have requested a portable sound system and NO tech requested for your event in 25live, it means you are requesting to borrow the portable sound system from Media Services but will pick up and set up the equipment yourself and return the equipment when done. The event sponsor listed in the 25live reservation will receive an email from Media Services (a week or so before the date of your event) stating where and when to pick up the equipment. There will be no charge to the event sponsor’s department/office as there is no charge for borrowing the equipment. Complimentary tutorial on the equipment is available upon request, given enough notice.
- Portable sound system requested - DELIVER: if you have requested a portable sound system with either tech (pre-event or at-event) requested for your event in 25live, it means you require the assistance of either tech to deliver and set up the equipment for your event. There will be a $20 per hour charge to the event sponsor’s department/office for the tech assistance.
How to request Media Services support for your event:
- Submit a reservation through 25live at least 14 days before your event.
- Ideally you should try to choose a room in which the equipment you need (projector, projection screen, microphone, speakers, etc.) is already installed in the room if possible. In 25live, you can view the equipment available as well as operating instructions by searching for the space and clicking on the name of it to view the details. If you're not able to find an available space with pre-installed media equipment and have to choose an alternate space with no pre-installed media equipment, you can request either tech support (noted above) to assist with setting up requested equipment for your event. For large-scale events, another option is to hire and pay for a third-party AV vendor such as Okun Sound Services (617-584-2777) or Capron Lighting and Sound (781-444-8850) to assist with your event.
- If you're requesting tech support, please also indicate exactly what you need the tech to assist with so we can best prepare for your event. Please type this in the Media: Additional Comments section or in the Information from Sponsors including SET UP, AV Requirements, Catering, Parking or Security section of your 25live reservation. Examples of what you may want to indicate:
"Pre-tech to assist with getting visual presentation started. The visual presentation will have sound."
"At-event tech to set up 2 handheld wireless mics and also help connect laptop to play music."
"Pre-tech to assist with playing a DVD movie". Movie is from the US and is in dvd form."
"Pre-tech to assist with playing a movie on Blu-Ray. Movie was purchased in Europe."
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Media Services does not provide clickers for advancing slides in a presenation. If you need to borrow one for use at your event, please inquire at the Clapp Service Desk on the main level/2nd floor of Clapp Library.
- If you've selected audiovisual equipment/mics in your 25live reservation but did not request tech support, we assume you are knowledgeable on the equipment to set up the equipment yourself and don't require Media Services' assistance. If you need tech support, you MUST request this resource, along with the equipment needed, in your 25live reservation.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email: firstname.lastname@example.org.